1. Were you raised in a particular religious faith?
No. We were what I now call “culturally Christian” much like people on the East Coast who are cultural, but not religious, Jews.
2. Do you still practice that faith? Why or why not?
No. After I came out, and as I’ve reflected on my own spirituality, I’ve tried not to continue habits or practices based on religious beliefs I don’t share. I’ve also become a very active member of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), so I’m actively practicing a faith now.
3. What do you think happens after death?
I don’t know. Does it matter?
4. What is your favorite religious ritual (participating in or just observing)?
I like silent grace before meals (holding hands quietly and reflecting on where my food comes from, being thankful for the food, the company, and for life in general).
5. Do you believe people are basically good?
I believe all people have a spark of goodness within them, which they can turn to and follow. I do not believe everyone is inclined to do this.